Edmonton, Alberta Climate & Temperature
- Edmonton, Alberta, Canada is at 53°34'N, 113°31'W, 671 m (2203 ft). See map.
- Edmonton, Alberta has a humid continental climate with severe winters, no dry season, warm summers and strong seasonality (Köppen-Geiger classification: Dfb).
- According to the Holdridge life zones system of bioclimatic classification Edmonton, Alberta is situated in or near the boreal moist forest biome.
- The average annual temperature is 3.6 degrees Celsius (38.5 degrees Fahrenheit). See the temperatures page for a monthly breakdown and the fixed scale graph.
- Average monthly temperatures vary by 30 °C (54°F). This indicates that the continentality type is continental, subtype truly continental.
- In the winter time records indicate temperatures by day reach -6.2°C (20.8°F) on average falling to -15.2°C (4.7°F) overnight.
- In spring time temperatures climb reaching 9.7°C (49.5°F) generally in the afternoon with overnight lows of -1.1°C (30°F).
- During summer average high temperatures are 22.1°C (71.8°F) and average low temperatures are 11°C (51.7°F).
- Come autumn/ fall temperatures decrease achieving average highs of 9.3°C (48.7°F) during the day and lows of -0.7°C (30.7°F) generally shortly after sunrise.
- Total annual Precipitation averages 461.1 mm (18.2 inches) which is equivalent to 461.1 Litres/m² (11.31 Gallons/ft²).
- On average there are 2205 hours of sunshine per year. Visit the sunshine and daylight section to check monthly details including how high in the sky the sun reaches each month.
- Were you to burrow down through the centre of the Earth from Edmonton, Alberta you would pop up nearest to the climate station at Port-Aux-Francais, kerguelen islands, French Southern Lands where you would find a Tundra climate (Boreal rain forest biome).
Edmonton, Alberta Climate Comparisons
In depth comparisons with over 3,600 world destinations. Better understand a climate by comparing it relative to one you know (check it out):
Rio de Janeiro,
Edmonton, Alberta Climate Graph in Metric Units
Edmonton, Alberta Climograph in English Units
Please help others find this resource by sharing the link:
Climate of Edmonton, Alberta, Canada Discussion
Post your insights, comments, questions, answers, feedback, error reports, related link suggestions etc. using the easy form below.
Navigate to Surrounding Climate Guides:
- Slave Lake, Ab, Canada - 207.9 kms (129.2 miles) NNW
- Edson, Ab, Canada - 194.5 kms (120.8 miles) W
- Edmonton (Intl), Ab, Canada - 28.7 kms (17.8 miles) S
- Red Deer, Ab, Canada - 156.9 kms (97.5 miles) S
- Golden, Bc, Canada - 344.2 kms (213.9 miles) SW
- Banff, Ab, Canada - 298.3 kms (185.4 miles) SSW
- Calgary, Alberta, Canada - 275.4 kms (171.2 miles) S
- Cold Lake, Ab, Canada - 231.4 kms (143.8 miles) ENE
- Edmonton Namao, Ab, Canada - 11.1 kms (6.9 miles) NNE
- Vegreville, Ab, Canada - 94.2 kms (58.6 miles) E
- Vermilion, Ab, Canada - 179.7 kms (111.7 miles) E
- Jasper, Alberta, Canada - 126.3 kms (78.5 miles) ESE
- Scott, Sk, Canada - 341.7 kms (212.3 miles) ESE
- Coronation, Ab, Canada - 217.3 kms (135 miles) SE
- Fort Reliance, Nt, Canada - 334.3 kms (207.7 miles) S