Edmonton, Alberta Climate & Temperature
- Edmonton, Alberta, Canada is at 53°34'N, 113°31'W, 671 m (2203 ft). See map.
- Edmonton, Alberta has a humid continental climate with severe winters, no dry season, warm summers and strong seasonality (Köppen-Geiger classification: Dfb).
- According to the Holdridge life zones system of bioclimatic classification Edmonton, Alberta is situated in or near the boreal moist forest biome.
- The annual average temperature is 3.6 degrees Celsius (38.5 degrees Fahrenheit). See the temperatures page for a monthly breakdown and the fixed scale graph.
- Average monthly temperatures vary by 30 °C (54°F). This indicates that the continentality type is continental, subtype truly continental.
- In the winter time records indicate temperatures by day reach -6.2°C (20.8°F) on average falling to -15.2°C (4.7°F) overnight.
- In spring time temperatures climb reaching 9.7°C (49.5°F) generally in the afternoon with overnight lows of -1.1°C (30°F).
- During summer average high temperatures are 22.1°C (71.8°F) and average low temperatures are 11°C (51.7°F).
- Come autumn/ fall temperatures decrease achieving average highs of 9.3°C (48.7°F) during the day and lows of -0.7°C (30.7°F) generally shortly after sunrise.
- Total annual Precipitation averages 461.1 mm (18.2 inches) which is equivalent to 461.1 Litres/m² (11.31 Gallons/ft²).
- On average there are 2205 hours of sunshine per year. Visit the sunshine and daylight section to check monthly details including how high in the sky the sun reaches each month.
- If you were to burrow down through the Earth from Edmonton, Alberta you would come out nearest to the climate station at Port-Aux-Francais, kerguelen islands, French Southern Lands where you would find a Tundra climate (Boreal rain forest biome).
Edmonton, Alberta Climate Comparisons
In depth comparisons with over 3,600 world destinations. Better understand a climate by comparing it relative to one you know (check it out):
Rio de Janeiro,
Edmonton, Alberta Climate Graph in Metric Units
Edmonton, Alberta Climograph in English Units
Climate of Edmonton, Alberta, Canada Discussion
Post your insights, comments, questions, answers, feedback, error reports, related link suggestions etc. using the easy form below.
Navigate to Surrounding Climate Guides:
- Slave Lake, Ab, Canada - 207.9 kms (129.2 miles) NNW
- Edson, Ab, Canada - 194.5 kms (120.8 miles) W
- Edmonton (Intl), Ab, Canada - 28.7 kms (17.8 miles) S
- Red Deer, Ab, Canada - 156.9 kms (97.5 miles) S
- Golden, Bc, Canada - 344.2 kms (213.9 miles) SW
- Banff, Ab, Canada - 298.3 kms (185.4 miles) SSW
- Calgary, Alberta, Canada - 275.4 kms (171.2 miles) S
- Cold Lake, Ab, Canada - 231.4 kms (143.8 miles) ENE
- Edmonton Namao, Ab, Canada - 11.1 kms (6.9 miles) NNE
- Vegreville, Ab, Canada - 94.2 kms (58.6 miles) E
- Vermilion, Ab, Canada - 179.7 kms (111.7 miles) E
- Jasper, Alberta, Canada - 126.3 kms (78.5 miles) ESE
- Scott, Sk, Canada - 341.7 kms (212.3 miles) ESE
- Coronation, Ab, Canada - 217.3 kms (135 miles) SE
- Fort Reliance, Nt, Canada - 334.3 kms (207.7 miles) S